Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Deceiving Appearances: A Young Women's Story

Wednesday nights starting at 6:30, our group of Young Women meet together to have fun, do service, and expand their talents.

     Tonight was an activity planning evening. It was noted that our eldest girl, Chana C., would be turning 17 in a few months.
     Our Young Women's President, Emily D., made the observation that she was twice the age Chana was going to turn this year.
     "Really? That's so surprising. I would have said you were 23," says Chana sweetly, being utterly sincere. Emily does in fact have a very youthful face.
     However, this caused me to lean forward to ask, "So how old do you think I am?"
     Chana tilted her head and studied me very hard, guessing, "I don't know... that's really hard... I dunno, 25, 27?"
     Deflated and amused, I answered, "I'm 23."
     "Really? Really? But you're so mature!"


Very funny.  (I've been laughing about for quite awhile now.)  And somewhat depressing that I apparently seem/appear older than my president.  I am in fact the youngest in the presidency and the youngest adult in the ward (excluding the two missionaries and our token teens/children).  Oh well.  I REALLY am hoping that the accelerated growth and maturity of my childhood will take a hike for the next oh, 2-3 decades....  I only write of this dialogue because until tonight, I had been framed by others in the 18-21 bracket, so to jump nearly to 30 was a surprise.  I'm starting to appreciate the idea of looking my own age.  But I think this is a sign of times to come when "Mommy" will always be "Mommy" and therefore an eternally older person of X age.  I think I'm going to be amused about aging for the rest of my life.

So I must ask the great etherworld: what is a married 23 year old supposed to look like?

2 comments:

  1. Thats too funny. Oh my, I've had the same difficult question. Its interesting... I look at pictures from high school and things I wore and I think, wow thats cute... and then I think about actually wearing those types of clothes now and I feel like an idiot... like I would look really silly! It just seems too young. Then I cut my hair super short before Kale came along and it made me feel too old. The quest for appropriate age-ness is an interesting one! =] hehe anyways, teenagers are funny =] i'm jealous your in YW! dream calling =]

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Meg! I know what you're talking about, only... I'm still wearin' the same ol' stuff I did back then... So I is confuzled. The other part of the puzzlement factor is that the Grass Valley/Nevada City youthful fashion is very artsy/eclectic and has this unwavering love of really mature, old fabrics. Here I am, wearing what I thought was youngish stuff, but somehow the translation hasn't worked out... Brant thinks its because the kids already know his age, therefore I must be the same. Who knows, but you're absolutely right.

    Thanks! It's really fun, we have a group without internal social problems, and the girls want to do service projects above anything else. Makes the job easy. :)

    I bet if you moved out here, they would stick you in pronto. You and Kevin are far too fun.

    ReplyDelete