Thursday, November 4, 2010

On letter writing



Although this is posted on my art/business blog, I wanted to write about these a tad more. Recently I made this card set for a new Visiting Teaching assignment.  Because neither my brand-new-to-the-church companion and I knew who our three sisters were, with potential of inactivity, I thought it would be best to introduce ourselves first.  Thus we wouldn't be strangers coming out of nowhere.  In creating the cover art, I thought it would be best to go with something generic.  I really enjoyed the process of inking and penciling in color, which was relatively fast.

Before moving back out to CA, I had told people that I wished to become a great letter writer.  I still do.  Haven't, but the desire persists.  A few months ago, my mother pointed out how current history was actively vanishing because of people pursuing communication solely through increasingly cyber connections, with phone and web conferencing coming in behind.  The sad reality is that emailing services all delete the oldest messages unless the user archives them elsewhere.  Such communication is lost forever.  Except maybe somewhere deep in an intelligence agency vault... ;)  The same is true of the switch to digital photography.  Cool, great, handy, efficient, and beautiful results, but if not printed, the visuals will also disappear.  In some ways even more readily due to the rate of crashing computers and dead cell phones and erroneous deletings.  For the actual family members and friends -- record of living vanishes.  In the years to come, our progeny/descendants will have far less of an idea of who we were/are today, than we have conception of our forebears.

And thus the importance of physical copies of the things that are most meaningful to us.  I highly recommend engaging in creating communication.  Such things will hold more absolute meaning and heart for the holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment