Monday, May 16, 2011

The Ties that Bind

"A friend is a gift you give yourself," is something that becomes more true to me the older I become.  I just had the opportunity to read the latest post of my lifetime-sister-of-the-heart, concerning a recent trip that happened to be our way-ish.  And, if she will forgive me, I want to share the following:
Before we officially hit the road, however, we had the wonderful opportunity to meet up with our good friends, the Moons, for breakfast. The place we met up to eat at had great food and we enjoyed the great company! We absolutely miss living next to them. Its always nice, however, when you have friends that remain your friends no matter the distance or amount of time in between visits.
Love you very, very much.
I am so grateful for this woman (and her husband by adoption)'s companionship through the years.  There are few relationships that have more meaning for me.  From our earliest beginnings, we shared so much: age, toys, desserts, hugs, travel adventures, tears, performances, aspirations, talents, religion, education, weddings, and foremost -- each other's love.  She was the sister I needed and was the best I could ask for.  I've considered knowing her and from time to time living near her, a truly great privilege that I hope someday, somehow there can be another return to.  Perhaps because my family stressed the importance of integrity and authenticity, I never had cause to wonder about distance and time on bonds that matter most.  This is not to say that I have not experienced people change behaviors, become disinterested in fellowship, or experience life changes that challenge friendships.  Quite the contrary.  No, what I mean is that accounting only for myself here, I feel that if you really like, honor, respect, and enjoy someone, those ideas will not change longitudinally.  Better penned by my 11th-great Uncle Isaac, "An object in motion will stay in motion, unless acted upon by an outside force." 
Elder Marion D. Hanks spoke of the importance of friendship:
“One of the most important choices any of us ever make in this life is our choice of companions with whom we shall share our time and lives … Companions can do wonderful things for us. If they are happy, generous, thoughtful, honest people, we will very likely be that way when we are with them. … If they habitually use clean and decent language we will likely talk that way, too.
“If our companions are prone to kind and noble thoughts, they will in all likelihood help us turn our thoughts in that direction also. If their habits are sound and sensible we will be influenced towards such habits. If they do things that are wholesome and constructive, we will likely go along.” (Church News, 30 January 1960, p. 3.)
This is what we had and have, I like to think.  A child's bonds are crucial for their development as much as any other kind of nourishment.  I think my own experience was a valuable lesson.  As a parent someday, it is important to model and understand what friendship is, its benefits, and how to choose, that progeny to come may thrive and create the community that will bring them the most joy.

Once again, thank you, my dearest friend, for being who you are.  Until we meet again.  Love you always.


Teaching Children about Friends and Friendship

True Friends—True to the Faith, by Ron R. Munns

1 comment:

  1. I love you Margaret! I consider myself wonderfully blessed that we have been able to share such a long and wonderful friendship! And can't wait for an eternity of friendship to come =].

    P.S. I just realized you had a personal blog. Here I've just been following your art blog. =] Got some readin' to do! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete