Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day! The serious and the silly.

“The errand of angels is given to women.”   Mother's Day is an important time to reflect on those qualities that women naturally may possess that are for the betterment of couples, families, communities, and yes, most definitely nations.  The taming of Australia from a truly savage, hostile penal colony to a thriving nation only happened with the introduction of that element we cherish from our childhood on -- women of quality who seek to build, have peace, and grow in inner strength.  That was also how the West was won.  The ability to keep a land is dependent upon having individuals willing to care for the environment they are in, as well as to maintain stability and community growth, ie: the family.

Elder Quentin Cook had the following to say:
God placed within women divine qualities of strength, virtue, love, and the willingness to sacrifice to raise future generations of His spirit children. A recent United States study asserts that women of all faiths “believe more fervently in God” and attend more religious services than men do. “By virtually every measure they are more religious.” 2
I was not surprised by this result, particularly as I reflected on the preeminent role of families and women in our faith. Our doctrine is clear: Women are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves them. Wives are equal to their husbands. Marriage requires a full partnership where wives and husbands work side by side to meet the needs of the family. 3
...Our women are not incredible because they have managed to avoid the difficulties of life—quite the opposite. They are incredible because of the way they face the trials of life. Despite the challenges and tests life has to offer—from marriage or lack of marriage, children’s choices, poor health, lack of opportunities, and many other problems—they remain remarkably strong and immovable and true to the faith. Our sisters throughout the Church consistently “succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.” 11 
This year, I had anticipated really celebrating Mother's Day for myself for the first time, but as many have come to know, that was not to be.  Not yet, anyway.  However, at this stage in life, Mother's Day is not just about looking forward in time and feeling pampered with praise, but back to the blessed mother and grandmothers who raised, tended, molded, inspired, and led you to be who you are today.  I can testify for myself the great and unparalleled power my own mother and grandmother had in shaping my fate, in creating my absolute independence though small moments of wisdom and frequent cuddling, and fantastically consistent choices.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints very much centers on the family, and celebrates Mother's and Father's Days as important.  Of course, how much varies from congregation to congregation.  But I must say that church in the Grass Valley Ward was an interesting mix for Sacrament today...

Today's program consisted of two youth speakers, followed by the Primary singing a tribute to the mothers, followed by a brother and sister pair of youth speakers, and ended with a (very beautiful) piano performance by Brant.  It seemed like it would have potential to be a very sweet, endearing lineup.  What we, the congregation, were not prepared for was how funny and outlandish it often would be!

Speaker One: "Sorry... [I'm going to go on a tangent] (pause) but you'll just have to deal with it!  (more nervous pause) Because it's my time to shine."
Speaker Two: "Mom is a pretty broad subject."
Speaker Three: "My dad asked me to speak today.  I wanted to say no, but my mom told me to say yes." "She teaches me how to love and honor a husband... even though I think it's really gross right now."
Speaker Four: "I was asked to give a talk on... I forgot what I'm to give a talk on..."

So I was very grateful for Brant and his quick spiritual message on the importance of maternal attributes, beautifully tying it with the lyrics of his song, "Weep No More," back with scripture.  And the music....!  He was the perfect end.

After church Brant and I delivered flowers, mint chocolate roses I had made, and short Mother's Day notes to our two nearest neighbors, followed by calling our families, which wrapped up our holiday's festivities.

What is important about remembering Mother's Day for you?
How were the women in your life critical for your shaping?

May you all have had a great Sabbath today.

No comments:

Post a Comment